Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ding dong, The taxes are done!

I wish I had something more interesting to report but I’ve spent the last weekend holed up in our office doing the taxes. Yes, I procrastinated a bit this year. I actually used to sort of enjoy doing the taxes. We have some complicating factors which I found great satisfaction in figuring out all the little ins and outs and crazy little irs rules. Now, it’s just time spent away from my little girl and husband.

Kaia’s Grandma and Grandpa came to town for the weekend to help Paul out while I was holed up in said office and it’s always so great to have them around. The best part is how much Grandma absolutely adores Kaia and all the nitty gritty details of taking care of her – changing her diapers and even the messy, frustrating business of feeding her.

Bonus of having Grandma and Grandpa here: Paul and I got to go on a couple dates. I surprised him Friday night with a couples massage. He had never had a professional massage. It had been years since I had. We were both all giggly and excited to do something so different. I felt a little extravagant about spending so much money on a hour’s worth of luxury. I felt much better about it after finishing the taxes and discovering that uncle sam decided to reward us this year with a nice little refund.

Let’s see, what else? Kaia had her augmentative communication evaluation Monday. She didn’t want to “perform” but the therapist still recommended, based on the reports of myself and her speech therapist who also attended the evaluation, a low-tech device like the go talk 4+, the cheap talk 4 or 8, the 7 level communication builder, or even the super talker. We now have access to the lending library where she’ll get to borrow any of those devices and test drive them for a month at a time.

We’re also going to be bumping speech therapy up to twice weekly so she’ll have an extra hour of therapy each week (up to 7 therapy sessions a week now). I, of course, have mixed feelings about this. I want her to have the most opportunities for success and yet still give us time to have a life outside therapy. I just can’t rightly keep that hour of therapy from her. Not when we only have just over a year in early intervention left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it's about Kaia, you know Grandma lives it. Grandma