Monday, February 23, 2009

Preschool

Kaia and I toured a preschool today. It went okay. I’m torn about this subject because I don’t know where she will be at developmentally in six months, or how I’ll feel about letting her go for two to four hours at a whack, but I figure it’s better to plan now and have the option open next fall than put it off. Otherwise, we may find ourselves in a situation where I’d like to have her in a preschool setting and not be able to find one that has an opening.

My main interest in sending Kaia to preschool is for her to have the opportunity to see typical peers playing and to interact with them, as well as to give me a break. I also think it’s a gift for the other kids to see and interact with Kaia. As I’ve mentioned in other posts, Kaia has never really been outside of our care for any length of time. Grandma and Grandpa (who visit from MN) watch her when they are in town to give us a chance to have date nights and we have utilized a parents night out program a few times for a couple hours at a time. That’s it. So I’m pretty nervous about sending her to a preschool but I also know that there are benefits for her and me. I can’t even imagine what four hours at a stretch to myself would be like anymore. I could study for class, go for a run (and even shower afterward), go shopping in peace and be able to put everything away once home - the possibilities honestly seem endless.

Originally I had been looking at co-op preschools. If you haven’t heard of these, they are preschools in which parents share a vested interest in teaching. Locally, there are two options for us. Both offer two hours, twice a week, 9am-ish to 11am-ish. Both require parental involvement two or four classes per month. That means ¼ to ½ of the time Kaia would be in preschool I would be there with her. They also require parental time commitment in the way of initial training and occasional cleaning. One of my biggest fears is that if I send Kaia to preschool she may be left sitting in a corner, in a w-sit, easily forgotten. Because of this, I figured co-op would be a great option since I’d actually be there to make sure that didn’t happen. However, it would also mean I wouldn’t get the break I’m really looking forward to with this whole preschool thing. For comparison purposes, co-op is also the same price as other options. One of Kaia’s therapists also pointed out that since sometimes I’d remain with Kaia at the co-op preschool and sometimes not, it may be more confusing and difficult for her when I don’t stay.

I also discovered a four hour, one day a week option through a local church. I am hesitant about Kaia’s ability (and mine) to tolerate being separated for a four hour stretch. They also feed the kids lunch there. I worry about her ability to eat in a highly distractible environment. They have the kids sit at a toddler table in little toddler chairs. Kaia’s never eaten outside of a highchair. But, it’s only one time a week. If she doesn’t eat well, I can feed her when we get home. It may even be good for her to observe typical peers eating. They have a 2 year old classroom which has a 10 to 2 ratio; but after speaking with the director and explaining my fears, she suggested we consider the option of putting Kaia in the 18 month classroom (their youngest classroom) which has an 8 to 2 ratio. The kids in that class wouldn’t be that much younger than Kaia - as little as 6 weeks younger since the cutoff for the two year old classroom is Aug 1st and Kaia turns two June 22nd. The director also said if we find that 4 hours is just too long at first, we could arrange to have me pick Kaia up early, after two or three hours.

Whatever option we choose will mean that at least one of Kaia’s therapists will have to see her while she is at preschool. I’m not too hot on this because it will mean we won’t get to observe the therapy session and have that first-hand knowledge of what to implement with Kaia, but it will also mean we won’t have to try to cram in that therapy session on another day. Since Kaia is now getting therapy 6(!) times a week, I don’t even know if that would be possible.

Do you send your child with special needs to a typical preschool or parents/mothers day out program? What has been your experience? If you had any of the same fears as me, how did you deal with them or how were they resolved? I have much more to write about our visit today but Kaia is waking from her nap so this must be continued later…

2 comments:

Sherry C said...

Yes i did send my daughter Ashley to preschool and it has been wonderful for her. She started last september at 3 years old. She goes from 9:15 until 11:30 2 days a week but her nurse attends with her as she has multiple delays isn't walking, talking or eating. She has accomplished so much there she get hand over hand help for arts and crafts, or fine motor skills such things as puzzles. But she can sit in circle by herself she gets help to stand up, jump or reach for the sky if needed during circle time. She enjoys herself there and the kids really accept her and often ask to sit beside her for snack or circle time. I was very reluctant and worried like yourself but I'm so glad i sent her. It helped me to realize how much she is like the other kids she really is and I'm a lot less worried about Kindergarten which starts this fall at age 4 where i live in Canada. I hope this helps in some way I know it's a scary thought sending your child to preschool but I'm sure you will be glad you did and Kaira will learn from being with the other children. I know my Ashley has. Another bonus for my daughter was lot of the activities at school were similar to OT or play therapy which was great.

Finding Normal said...

Addison goes to a in-home provider right next to the school I teach at. It's worked out well, and she has benefitted from being with the typical kids. The tentative plan is for her to start in our school district's early childhood program when she turns 3 and ages out of First Steps. It is JUST special needs kids, and all of her therapies will be done there. Taking her to a community preschool would be an option, but I don't think the district would provide transportation, which is a necessity since we both work. Good luck...it's a hard decision!