Saturday, August 1, 2009

How important is breastfeeding?

Pretty important, according to the World Health Organization. In this article, http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090731/hl_nm/us_un_mothers_1, a WHO spokesperson says that "Raising to 90 percent the global breastfeeding rate for infants to six months would save an estimated 13 percent of the 10 million under-age-5 deaths a year". Wow! That's huge. If you don't want to do the math, that's 1.3 million children's lives each year.

Articles like this are inspiring to me and help me realize how important what I've done and continue to do is for Kaia. Yep, you guessed it: she's still breastfeeding. Past two and still breastfeeding.

She loves it and so do I. And I know that I'm doing the best thing for her. Especially during chemo. So if you've got an opinion about how breastfeeding a toddler or God forbid, tandem nursing a baby and toddler, may make you uncomfortable, I really don't want to hear it. I'm more than happy to direct you to articles like the above to drive home the point that breastfeeding is the healthiest, sanest option for feeding a baby, and yes, even a toddler.

I really don't mean to sound defensive about this issue, but it is one very close to my heart and I just want equal airtime for the benefits of nursing.

1.3 million lives. That's pretty convincing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Amen! Amen!
Flow On Debbie & Suckle On Sweet Kaia!

-here's to your health
Teresa m, mama to 3 amazing breast-fed kids, including Tallulah 22q13.32!

Sherry C said...

Debbie, your such a wonderful mother. I'm sure Kaia is benefiting immensely from breatfeeding. I'm currently breastfeeding my 3 month old right now and love it. It is such a special time. I hope to continue until he is one and on milk that was i did for my first 2 as well. If Ashley was strong enough to breastfeed I would have gone on for a little longer too as your doing. She wasn't strong enough though I was very sad about that for a long time. I hope the chemo is doing it's job and Kaia is managing okay.